Chris and I made an extended getaway to Seattle this past weekend and I'm SO glad we ended up doing it! After getting shut down on a trip to New Orleans (Jazzfest had everything completely booked), we made a spontaneous decision to head to Seattle instead as flights and Airbnb's in the area were super reasonable.
For as short of a time as we were there (3 days) I really felt like we were able to accomplish a lot and see different parts of the city. Every neighborhood really does have its own feel and it was great to get an overall sense of Seattle instead of sticking to one specific part. Additionally, I also really loved that the Airbnb we chose for this trip was located outside of downtown and in a quiet neighborhood next to Lake Union. I feel like a lot of time people as visitors feel they need to be exactly where all of the action is all the time and it was really great to just get to escape at the end of the day and relax in a more slow paced environment like we would at home. I definitely recommend doing this if you're looking into Seattle as it was very easy to just hop on a bus or call an Uber to all of the action at anytime!
Below are some recommendations of things we saw/enjoyed with our time there that I'd recommend to anyone looking to visit the Emerald City!
- Seattle Public Library - This library is seriously amazing. We ended up grabbing drinks and resting in the ac while browsing our bookstore finds for a while. The architecture is insane and definitely worth checking out even if you just pop in for a second (it's free!).
- Pike Place Market - I mean clearly you have to, right? The market was fun regardless of how crowded it was and how bitter we were for not being able to actually purchase any seafood to take home with us. Though we did snag some piping hot mini doughnuts to eat while perusing!
- Volunteer Park - The day we visited Volunteer Park is the day we also walked 9 miles all over the city, so I'm a little sad that I was so worn out by the time we got there. I would've loved to walk around and explore it more, but my feet just couldn't take it anymore ha! We did go up the tower there, which gives a nice view around the surrounding area and the Space Needle.
- Eastlake Zoo Tavern - I've noticed a pattern when Chris and I travel and it's that we LOVE finding a local hangout wherever we are. During our stay in Seattle we stopped in to Zoo Tavern to split a pitcher multiple times as it was right down the road from our Airbnb and exactly the kind of place we'd hang out at at home.
- Kings Hardware - Terrific burgers and located in the Ballard neighborhood which is perfect for wandering off those said burgers afterwards. I loved this part of town so much!
- Percys & C0. - Next door to Kings and has a great happy hour and specialty cocktails! Would love to try out their food next time.